Department of Engineering Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Server Move

Reply to topic    Department of Engineering Forum Index » Announcements View previous topic
View next topic
Server Move
Snowdog
DOE Administrator
DOE Administrator

Post Server Move Reply with quote
Well after years and years of faithful service my old DSL line on which the game-edit.org server resides is apparently no longer capable of maintaining connection all of the sudden. My local phone company assures me that my 6mb DSL line NEVER worked and that the 20% connection loss I've been experiencing (more on that in bit) has always been there and I'm just now noticing after 6 years. I've never wanted to crawl through a phone and beat someone to a bloody pulp with a stapler before; now I can't honestly make that statement again.

So, whats with this connection loss? Why did a solid DSL thats been functional for years suddenly start dropping out dozens of times a day? Well, as a little test I started running a ping to a known always up server every 30 seconds and tracked the ping drops times for 3 weeks. Low and behold a pattern emerged which was well beyond curious. You see, my DSL carrier is (soon to be was) AT&T and a couple months ago they pushed their uVerse service heavily in my area; salesmen door to door, they visited me 3-4 times. Shortly there after my outages started. I couldn't help but think the two might be related but once I graphed out my ping-drops by time of day it became painfully clear. My outages seem remarkably connected to the classic "primetime" TV hours.

Check out this DROPS by HOUR graph (red = weekdays, blue = weekends)

Note: the small spike around the noon - 2pm hours can be completely accounted for due to multiple service calls by technicians attempting to restore proper line service
It is interesting to note that the weekend dropouts differ from the weekday dropouts and that they too correlates pretty closely with 'normal weekend' TV watching hours.

AT&T technical people assure me my outages can't be related to uVerse or it's usage. (Though 'off the record' a couple of the service techs suggested that interference from the VDSL2 lines uVerse uses could very likely be the culprit as the old 50+ year old phone lines aren't shielded very well according to them. So signal induction/interference is a very real possibility.)

So whats all this rambling mean (besides that I'm very irritated)? It means a new broadband cable line is scheduled to be pulled in later today and, once I finish moving my servers to the new IPs & updating DNS etc, I should have a nice healthy new 12mb broadband connection for game-edit.org to continue happily rusting away on.

Never fear my old friends I am still here vigilantly guarding the comatose shell that is the DoE and I won't pull the plug till the stench of rot overpowers me. Wink

Last edited by Snowdog on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:29 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Gorified
Clan [WTF?] Member
Clan [WTF?] Member

Post Reply with quote
Damn, so many times I have wanted to reach through the phone to deliver some remote justice! Twisted Evil

Glad that the keeper of the gates (Snowdog) has plenty of perseverance! If I ever came to game-edit.org and it was gone, a part of me would die! (Well, one of my dead parts would be, uhh, deader anyway!)
If you ever need remote hosting to keep this place on life support, let me know. I have a sweet hosting service that I use where I can run an unlimited number of sites and have crap loads of disk space and bandwidth.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:47 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Un_ethical
Clan [WTF?] Member
Clan [WTF?] Member

Post Reply with quote
Ohh the delights of DSL on an ancient twisted pair!

Snowy I feel the pain, Ive had useless, unstable, and sometimes non-existant connection for the last 6 years. We have old phone lines, and despite many requests to have them replaced, it simply doesn't ever happen.

On a good day, we can get stable 2-3 Meg connection, and for me thats fine. I dont watch HD or download a lot, and kids use their school sites and that. We don't ask for much Smile .....
BUT when the telephone gets used, its a different story ... DSL sync drops, reconnects happen for 10 mins before it recovers and then it syncs at a really low rate UNLESS the phone if left off the hook. This lasts for a few days before you can replace the phone and DSL sync is stable again. Unfortunatly you then have the dreaded bRAS torture .. a sunk IP profile is active and we have the awesome 3-5 day wait for it to recover back ..... while on a 0.1 meg connection ><

I know what the problem is .. its called "high open" .. but try telling BT Wholesale this ... you just get the runaround. Ive even tried just with BT directly complaining of POTS fault .. but they test the line and say its fine -_-

I get this every month or two .... and only way I will ever get this fixed is if I move house.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:22 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Snowdog
DOE Administrator
DOE Administrator

Post Reply with quote
Ouch UE, dealing with that would drive me nuts!

Well, I've got my new cable line installed and so far things are working out incredibly well. Due to a mixup on the carriers part they installed a higher end modem than I was supposed to get, which means I'm getting higher speeds than I was supposed to get also. I'm contracted for 12mb up / 2mb down but I've gotten speed test results as high as 48 Mbps down / 46 Mbps up. So I am very happy with my new server connection especially considering my outbound speed is far higher than expected.
Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:18 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Gorified
Clan [WTF?] Member
Clan [WTF?] Member

Post Reply with quote
Nice! Maybe now you could log in to Steam sometime and get rid of that damn message I always see...

"Last Online: 1268 days ago"

That is 3.47 years ago. LOL!

Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:37 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Snowdog
DOE Administrator
DOE Administrator

Post Reply with quote
I'm seeing if I can get it over 2000 days Razz
Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:40 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    Department of Engineering Forum Index » Announcements All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: