Department of Engineering Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
TF2 Mapping and Tutorials

Reply to topic    Department of Engineering Forum Index » Mapping : Building & Scripting View previous topic
View next topic
TF2 Mapping and Tutorials
Tylak
Noob
Noob

Post TF2 Mapping and Tutorials Reply with quote
Hi Guys,

I was curious about how involved DoE members are in TF2 mapping. I just setup Hammer after a long break, maybe 2 or 3 years now... Now seems like a great time to release community maps.

So who is making TF2 maps? And are there any good resources out there? I have only found a few half-useful tutorials regarding the TF2 gameplay scripting entities. Will the DoE host weekly beta tests?

Thanks.
Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:11 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Huenberry
Clan [WTF?] Member
Clan [WTF?] Member

Post Reply with quote
Hi Tylak,

As for interest in mapping by the clan members, there might be 2-3 people.
We lost about 80%-90% of the clan.

But, I finally got broadband and have been playing a bunch of TF and am getting excited to start mapping.
And yeah, I want to start beta testing again that maybe a month or two down the road at the moment.

But, if you got some mapping buddies send them this way and they can chill on the forums:)

See you around
HB
Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:32 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Snowdog
DOE Administrator
DOE Administrator

Post Reply with quote
I've been busy playing TF2 in my spare time to map much... but I've been tinkering on a map here and there.

I know what you mean about the lack of tuts are clear explanations on ents and such for TF2. The pickings are pretty sparse. However, it seems Valve has actually given us (the developing community) a boost up. They have a developer wiki set up (accessible from the help menu in Hammer) that has a fair amount of info on the entities. Tuts themselves are still slim but they are showing up here and there.

I'd like to see some of our members start putting some tuts up in the near future. **nudge nudge wink wink**
Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:54 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tylak
Noob
Noob

Post Reply with quote
Thanks for the response.

I am interested in producing at least one TF2 map, so I decided to come back here to see what's shaking. I haven't been active with DoE for a very long time, but I remember a really great vibe back when TFC was king.

I started a map recently and have been making a lot of progress this week. I would be interested in taking part in DoE playtests if possible. I also have a group of people from my office who might be able to help with testing.

When I get a chance I'll make a new post with some shots of the map I'm working on.

While updating my PC at home I realized the TF2 SDK includes and example map which shows how the gameplay ents work. For some reason I don't seem to have that map on my other PC. Anyway I have a basic 5 point cp map working and it wasn't too hard. But the dev wiki tutorial does a horrible job of explaining the process.
Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:06 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Empyre
Noob
Noob

Post Reply with quote
This site is left over from the glory days of the Half-Life 1 mod, TFC. The attempt to reboot the site for TF2 wasn't successful. Now, the forums are so dead that I am probably the only one stubborn enough to check them more than once a week.

Since I have never mapped for the Source engine, I don't have any answers for your questions. I think I speak for everybody when I say you are welcome here, but I only speak for myself when I warn you not to expect speedy answers.
Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:26 pm View user's profile Send private message
Snowdog
DOE Administrator
DOE Administrator

Post Reply with quote
You're not the only one who checks empyre. Game-edit basically already has a fork in it (it's done) has been for years. Though I maintain it partially out of nostalgia, partly out of laziness, and with just a dash of hope. Wink
Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:46 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Empyre
Noob
Noob

Post Reply with quote
That was a bot? His reply seemed to fit the thread.
Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:44 pm View user's profile Send private message
Snowdog
DOE Administrator
DOE Administrator

Post Reply with quote
Yep, bots web wide are getting very very sophisticated.
Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:22 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
[WTF?]Dr_Bones
Noob
Noob

Post Reply with quote
Because these forums or clan are not very active like they used to be, I do occasionally check this site once a month.

I still talk to alot of you via steam whenever I see you all around.
Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:02 am View user's profile Send private message
Gorified
Clan [WTF?] Member
Clan [WTF?] Member

Post Reply with quote
Hey Snowdog, I have the same thing going on. gorified.com has been dead for years but, I will probably never get rid of it. You can even still download all of my TFC maps from there too. Smile

Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:07 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Snowdog
DOE Administrator
DOE Administrator

Post Reply with quote
lol.

Why do we do this? maintaining forums and sites that only attract bots? I think it's some sick mental need Razz

All I know is the site won't just vanish like it did oh so long ago when evilchild went AWOL.
Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:11 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Gorified
Clan [WTF?] Member
Clan [WTF?] Member

Post Reply with quote
LOL! Yes, I believe it IS some sick mental need.

It will be even more humorous when we are still posting here a couple times per year when we are all 70 years old. Hey, maybe once we all retire, we can reform the clan and start mapping for TF3 (it might be out around that time)! Smile

Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:18 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Empyre
Noob
Noob

Post Reply with quote
I wonder what direction they'll take the graphics for TF3. Maybe they'll use stick figures, but really good artsy ones.
Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:32 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Department of Engineering Forum Index » Mapping : Building & Scripting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: